Wednesday, February 07, 2007

I Made More Money Working at the Gap...but It wasn't Nearly as Much Fun!



I am a special education teacher and work with kids with disabilities and kids without disabilities. I wanted to share a few things that help me ignore my very sad W-2.

In the first grade class that I co- teach the students decided to write about me. They wrote things like Mrs. G loves to laugh and have fun, she is pretty, and she loves to wear bracelets (I wear a jade bracelet and two red thread bracelets one for me and one for Sophie). I looove first graders they make me smile every day! They laugh every time that I say “your out of luck Chuck” when they ask for extra snack.

One of my first graders made me a Valentines Day card and wrote in it that he loved me. He is going through a hard time; he is just six and can’t figure out how to talk about it. I am hoping that he can find the words…..

A little boy that I serve who has a significant health impairment laughed when I called him handsome the other day, but he was sure to let me know that he was wearing cologne. To which I replied, “you’re not only good looking you smell good too!” He just smiled and said, “Yep, I’m the total package!”

Some of my kids have a hard time behaving in class. I love walking down the hall and having them smile with pride that the day is half over and they are still on green! (This is a big deal for lots of them, like Kermit said it’s not easy being green!)

I have a kindergarten student who winks at me to try to get out of doing his work.
My other kinder says “oh, my bad.” When he makes a mistake, Cracks me up every time!

I love the look on a kids face when they “get it” during math centers!

I was walking around the classroom during writing and one of the students was
daydreaming and I asked him what he was doing. He replied ‘gitn r done!” The other teacher and I almost died laughing!

I have two pre-k students with the same unusual first name, one is a little round guy with red hair and the other boy has curly hair and a ponytail. The red head loves when we sing the Old Lady Who Swallowed a Fly. The other little boy hates it, says that it’s nasty, why would someone swallow a fly and want to sing about it!

Thanks for letting me share some of my gems with you guys! Hope they made you laugh!

Labels:

7 Comments:

Blogger 4D said...

Those are really heartwarming. Remember those moments if you have a bad day!

Keep smilin!

9:48 AM  
Blogger t~ said...

Well I didn't know you taught! I thought you were just sleeping with the jersey guy! hehe!

Kids say the funniest things that leave lasting impressions. How cute!

9:49 AM  
Blogger Robin said...

Thanks for the smile today! It never ceases to amaze me what kids will think of. Especially those really young ones. :-) Aren't you lucky to get to enjoy them.

4:05 PM  
Blogger C's Mom said...

The things in life that bring us the greatest pleasure are never about the money....oooooh...good one, Connie. I have to remember that myself!

6:45 PM  
Blogger Colleen said...

Now that is some good smilin stuff!

9:59 AM  
Blogger Kristin said...

I am always so grateful for teacher like youself; willing to make the committment to go the extra mile for these kids...

7:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Maryellen I am so glad you found something so much more rewarding that folding t-shirts at the Gap and picking up guys at Banana Republic... Just kidding..I know what you mean. You teach from the heart and that is why your kids love to learn...I know..Love you, Mom

8:50 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home