Sunday, December 17, 2006

They're Just My Kids!

I feel the need to share something that has been bothering me for some time. Many people in the adoption process have children already, but for some reason referring to their children as their “bio kids” has really, really started to bug me. When I first started posting I to referred to Ben and Hannah as my bio kids but felt really uncomfortable about it and stopped. They’re just my kids. Sophie will be one of my kids. I would never refer to Sophie as my adopted daughter and Hannah as my bio daughter. They will just be my daughters….

8 Comments:

Blogger C's Mom said...

Sing it, sista! In general conversation making a distinction has no place in my book :0)

7:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I totally agree. In my view, Lillie WAS adopted on Aug. 8... she now IS my daughter, no distinction required.

Heahter

7:25 PM  
Blogger t~ said...

I don't think I've ever referred to my kids as my bio kids....they're just my kids. Of course I usually have 3 extra in tow and refer to them as my kids as well. That's odd to me that people make distinct differences.

Amen sista!

10:11 PM  
Blogger 4D said...

Hear, hear!!!

I second that BIG TIME!

Keep smilin!

1:33 PM  
Blogger Colleen said...

Amen! Totally agree!

9:12 AM  
Blogger Robin said...

AMEN to that !

9:16 AM  
Blogger LedaP said...

I have to admit I occasionally say my BIO sons when talking or posting in the adoption community, but it's usually because other people in the adoption community are curious about your adoption journeys - what countries you've been to etc. or how your family came about.

I certainly won't refer to Kaylee as my adopted daughter (though it will be obvious). But even now when I tell people we are in the process of adopting a little girl, the first thing they ask is..."Oh, are your sons adopted?"

I don't know, I guess it's just what your comfortable with...I certainly don't mean anything negative by it.

10:17 PM  
Blogger Ava's family said...

I agree with you 100%! I know that I have in the past once or twice called my kids my bio kids on yahoo groups. I wasn't at all comfortable with it....They're just my kids!

7:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home