Saturday, December 16, 2006

"Excuse me, could you help me??"


Is there help for the navigationally challenged??? Hannah and I went to see the Nutcracker last night in Raleigh. We climbed into the car with our trusty step be step map quest directions and with plenty of time for traffic and to get lost. Of course we got lost. I followed my handy directions! Called my cell phone companies help line for directions and still got lost! I had Hannah praying in the back seat that we would make it to the performance on time. These were not cheap tickets! Luckily, we were able to get directions to the performance center from some nice people heading to the Hurricanes hockey game. (They said, “Oh you must be going to see the Nutcracker.” Who says hockey fans lack appreciation for the arts???) Of course there were detours downtown that messed me up a little and I had to stop and ask a nice UPS guys to point me in the right direction. If you are counting I have had to ask three times for directions! I pulled into a public parking lot and asked the attendant if we were close enough to walk to the performance center (that makes four). He pointed nicely up the street to a brightly lit building. We made it to the performance with fifteen minutes to spare!

The Nutcracker was lovely. Hannah and I have been going to see the Nutcracker together since she was five years old. There is a local dance company that puts on the Nutcracker every year. It is very professionally done, but I thought this year we would go see a production with professional dancers. We had a great time and the dancers were all so beautiful!
Now I'm sure you are wondering if I got lost on the way home. Yes, I did get lost on the way home. Just not as bad as the way there! I only had to ask for help once. The nice tow truck driver in the Denny’s parking lot told me not to feel bad about getting lost in Raleigh. He said it is very confusing with the inner and outer belt lines. I am going with that! And for those of you wondering where my actual map was, I have no idea. Even if I did know where it was my map reading skills ....are well let’s just say it’s much easier for me to pull over and ask for directions!

4 Comments:

Blogger C's Mom said...

May Santa bring you OnStar navigation for Chirstmas ;0) You know, that thing that you poke in your destination and it says 'turn right 300 feet', 'park the car now - you're here'

I'd want it if I were in a new and confusing area!

10:41 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Maryellen, you do take after your Mom. Remember, after leaving you in Leicester, driving home in the fog? Remember me driving till I saw the Welcome to Maine sign? So you see the apple does not fall far from the tree LOL..... Hey I still get lost, even in a revolving door...Dont, feel bad. That is why they now sell GPS for cars... Love you, Mom

8:34 PM  
Blogger t~ said...

I rely souly on truck drives and gas station attendants to find my way around....your not alone!

Hope the show was worth it!

9:04 PM  
Blogger Kristine said...

We do the Nutcracker thing too!! I have been going since I was a little girl and now Shawn and I go (almost) every year!!! I can't wait to take our Isabel with us - they have an afternoon performance for "little" kids. It is a wonderful Christmas tradition!!

1:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home