Saturday, April 26, 2008

Bill C and Middle School Talk



What can I say about Bill that hasn't already been said....the man is an amazing speaker! He is funny and easily connected with the mostly college "republican" crowd. I know college and republican kind of don't go together, but this is a pretty small, well- to-do university. Bill's ( I call him Bill now:) bottom line message was that if you liked how things were going when he was in office vote for Hillary. As you can tell from Hannah's photo's we were pretty close. Glad we were able to make it in time to hear him speak.

My chat with the 7th graders at planet middle school went well. The kids all asked great questions and each class was so different from the last! I had one class that really was just interested in the emotional part of our adoption. They asked things like, how did I think Sophie felt about being adopted,how we going to be sure that she knew about Chinese culture, how would we explain how she came to be part of our family. They wanted to know where she slept ( with us) and why we chose to have her sleep with us. I told Mr.social studies teacher that this was the group of future social workers and counselors! Ben's class asked some really good questions. This was the only class that asked why we did not adopt domestically and one student towards the end of the talk shared that he didn't think that he could love a child the same if he or she were not blood related. I told him that it was ok to feel that way and then I hit him with one of my favorites from Melissa " Biology is the least of what makes someone a mother". Love that.
Every class asked "how much" and at the end of each class at least one student came up to me to tell me that they wished that their family would chose to adopt from China or that when they got older that they hoped to be able to adopt.

My work there was done:)

5 Comments:

Blogger Maia said...

woo-hoo for Maryellen! Way to spread the love of adoption. What a great story!

3:40 PM  
Blogger ~ Alison said...

Wow! That's Bill alright. He's looking a lot older these days . . .

I used to get a lot of 'why didn't you adopt domestically' before I was home with Mali. I think it must be different now that they can actually see & know Mali, b/c not one kid has asked me that since. Sounds like u did a fabulous job, especially with M's quote. Perfect!

3:45 PM  
Blogger t~ said...

Glad you got to chat with Bill, it's been awhile.

8:08 PM  
Blogger Pug Mama said...

good job mama!!!!

8:26 AM  
Blogger polkadot said...

adoption education will change the world... if even one of those kids grows up to adopt, you will have been a part of that process. Great job!

9:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home