Monday, June 11, 2007

The Call



I need to write about this before I forget. Last Tuesday was the final day of our school field day. The last day is always crazy. The entire student body is piled into the gym for the 3-5 grade tug-a-war. Our P.E. teacher has an entire system worked out with brackets and everything....... it is crazy. Anyway I was in the gym watching the tug-a-war when our school secretary Jane came in the gym looking for me. She put her one hand on each of my arms and said, “ Your adoption agency is on the phone, run, run, run!!” I must have stood there for a split second because she had to tell me to run more than once! I didn’t expect our agency to get a new waiting childrens' list until some time in July. They had just sent a request in May for a new group of children. Needless to say I bolted out of the gym. The other special education teacher ran after me because she thought that one of my students had flipped. (I have a very strong student who has some pretty significant behavior issues and she figured I was going to need some back up!)

I was shaking when I picked up the phone. Ashley from Living Hope sweetly informed me that they had just received a new list of children and that there were two babies available. I don’t remember much of what she said except where Sophie was from and how old she was. I got off the phone and seriously I was shaking. I was talking to Jane and our school nurse when it hit me that I needed to call Chris!! Chris was very calm, of course, and was asking me all kinds of questions that I couldn’t remember the answers to because I was freaking out! I called Ashley back and she told me that there was something in English in Sophie’s file and did I want her to fax it to me, she also asked if I wanted her to email me Sophie’s picture. Ummmm….......YES!!

Thankfully it was the end of the day and Hannah and I headed over to Chris’s office with the information Ashley had faxed and to check email for Sophie’s picture. Sophie’s SN is something that we had said from the beginning that we could handle, but before we opened the picture I had to ask Chris first if he was sure. We both knew once we saw the picture it would be more difficult not to accept the file if her medical concerns were more than we thought we could handle. Chris clicked on Sophie ‘s picture and there was our little girl, no doubt about it…..

13 Comments:

Blogger C's Mom said...

I can only imagine the joy in your heart.

Thanks for sharing the details of hearing about your daughter for the first time.

10:44 PM  
Blogger t~ said...

I don't think you will every forget the detail of that call. Thank you for sharing them with us, I can feel your excitement and I couldn't be happier for you guys!

Sophie is certainly worth it, just look at that face!

10:57 PM  
Blogger Carol said...

Wonderful birth story to share with Sophie one day. Congratulation!!

Speedy TA....

The Woods

7:35 AM  
Blogger wzgirl said...

OMGosh, what a sweet little nugget of goodness.

Congrats, congrats....congrats!!!!!!! XO

10:26 AM  
Blogger Elizabeth said...

Oh my God. And they say adoptive parents don't go through the crazy life changing moments of birth.
Awesome story.
I'm twitching with happiness for you.
I hope one day to feel those very emotions.
One day very soon...

10:28 AM  
Blogger Colleen said...

No doubt is right. See?? Dreams really do come true - seeing as I had that one that you got her referral the night before! So odd.... I am so happy for you guys. Can't wait to hear travel details.

10:29 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ME, you are making me cry with these stories...hormones are a little out of whack these days. That is the best story! Good thing it was the end of the school day! Can't wait to hear more...
Jenn

11:52 AM  
Blogger Briana's Mom said...

She is absolutely your daughter! I love the story! I know I was trembling when I got "the call". I just posted my referral story yesterday. I knew I would forget everything if I didn't get it down soon! Congrats!

3:38 PM  
Blogger Polar Bear said...

That is a wonderful story. Thanks so much for sharing it.

I am so excited for you all. It is going to be an amazing journey.

Sophie is such a cute little thing!

5:37 PM  
Blogger Moore, Moore, Moore! said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

7:18 PM  
Blogger Michelle said...

What an adorable sweet little angel! Congratulations!!!!!!!!!!

8:08 PM  
Blogger Kristine said...

I had to read this twice cause I had too many tears the first time through!! Wow, it was all so exciting!!! Sophie is such a cutie - now you have to take everything out of storage and get that crib up and ready for her!!

10:15 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

love it!

Lillie say the picture and said "BABY!!" She's very excited for you to bring BABY! home

xo,
Heather and Lillie

2:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home